Thursday, October 15, 2009

April 21, 2001 and June 8, 2005



Steve's on the Grand and I'm not.  What to do?  Try to ignore it?  That's what I thought I was going to do but instead I think I'm going to embrace it.  I've been down the Grand three times myself so for the duration of his trip, I'm going to focus on my memories by posting journal entries and pictures from our previous trips together. Rachel tells me that my trip journals can be kind of boring because they're too matter of fact. Be that as it may, here goes.


Saturday, April 21, 2001

Tonight's camp is Cremation Creek, just above Phantom Ranch.  Again, I'm in the tent writing.  I have no idea what time it is and have probably known only about three times in the last six days.

Today, we ran Hance and Sockdolager which are two of the gnarlier rapids.  Steve did really well rowing all the rapids today.  I was smart but not smart enough.  I put on several warm layers this morning but it was cold and windy all day and actually rained just before we hit Grapevine.  Once again, I got very cold.  I'm going to have to figure something out since tomorrow's supposed to be more of the same.

Steve and I had some fireworks this morning but hopefully we've worked it out.

Wednesday, June 8, 2005

Phantom Ranch Day!  I woke up this morning excited about it.  It was fun.  I called home but only got machines so left a message.  I also talked to Scheuer.  Things sound okay at the office.  Same old, same old.

Rapids were fun, again.  Steve was in a good mood.  Got a few face shots first thing.  Scouted Horn.  Wat a fun ride.  You are greeted at the entry by a really scary looking wave that appears to just want to much you.  You blow through it and it's just a rolling ride.  Let's do it again!

Camped at 91 Miles Creek.  As Tom said, "This camp fucking rocks."  Great deep eddy (good for sleeping) with a nice sand dune camp tucked behind the tammies.

Crystal tomorrow.

No comments: