Wednesday, October 14, 2009

April 20, 2001 and June 7, 2005



Steve's on the Grand and I'm not.  What to do?  Try to ignore it?  That's what I thought I was going to do but instead I think I'm going to embrace it.  I've been down the Grand three times myself so for the duration of his trip, I'm going to focus on my memories by posting journal entries and pictures from our previous trips together. Rachel tells me that my trip journals can be kind of boring because they're too matter of fact. Be that as it may, here goes.


Friday, April 20, 2001

Tonight I'm laying in the sleeping bag in the tent which Steve pitched for the first time this trip.  It was an extremely windy day today.

Steve and I launched first and ran Kwagunt Rapid before anyone else.  We stopped and hiked up the Little C a ways although unfortunately it was not running blue.

Our next stop was at Carbon Creek where Steve, Manon, Barb, Denise and Roger hiked over to Lava Canyon while Rick, Paula, Tom and I rowed to meet them.

We're camping at Cardenas and most everyone is up at the Hilltop Ruins.

I'm having a bit of a hard time with Steve's moodiness and decided to use this time to get a break.

Tuesday, June 7, 2005

Camping at Grapevine.  Another windy day, not as windy and much shorter so tolerable but windy nonetheless.

We got into camp at 2:30 pm so Steve played in his kayak.  We ran Tanner, Unkar, Hance and Sock, scouted Unkar, Hance and Sock.  We had good runs in all.  We did just skirt a pourover in one but Steve moved the raft well to avoid it.

Had dinner duty tonight.  It was okay but a bit isolating.  Everyone else was down at the boats cocktailing.

Cleanup wasn't too painful either.

Weather's getting warmer at night.

Phantom tomorrow.

No comments: