Tuesday, October 13, 2009

April 19, 2001 and June 6, 2005



Steve's on the Grand and I'm not.  What to do?  Try to ignore it?  That's what I thought I was going to do but instead I think I'm going to embrace it.  I've been down the Grand three times myself so for the duration of his trip, I'm going to focus on my memories by posting journal entries and pictures from our previous trips together. Rachel tells me that my trip journals can be kind of boring because they're too matter of fact. Be that as it may, here goes.


Thursday, April 19, 2001

Today I sit at the Nankoweap Granaries writing this. This is my second trip here, once by myself (although Tom, Rick and Manon were here when I got here) and a second time with Steve.

I'm developing some beautiful colorful bruises on my legs.

Last night was windy but no rain. This morning was windy too. We went to Saddle Canyon and hiked to the falls. We then linked up with Rick and Manon again because of the headwinds and motored to Nankoweap. Beautiful, social day.

Right now Rachel is supposed to be flying to Baltimore. I hope everything went ok.

Monday, June 6, 2005

Such a flippin' windy day!  Windy all night, woke up to wind and it just got worse.  This morning, the wind was tolerable with stops at Nankoweap and the Little Colorado but this afternoon, the wind was absolutely heinous.  At times, Steve was rowing as hard as he could but was going upstream.  He was actually rowing as hard as he could all afternoon.

Nankoweap was hot but beautiful.  Gotta hike for that view.  The Little Colorado was blue and we had too much fun doing the tourist thing.

Steve and I talked this morning about whether he even enjoys this.  At the time, he wasn't sure but as soon as we got to Nankoweap, his mood improved exponentially.  Good rest of the day even with the wind.  Steve cooked tonight.

No comments: