Monday, October 12, 2009

April 18, 2001 and June 5, 2005



Steve's on the Grand and I'm not.  What to do?  Try to ignore it?  That's what I thought I was going to do but instead I think I'm going to embrace it.  I've been down the Grand three times myself so for the duration of his trip, I'm going to focus on my memories by posting journal entries and pictures from our previous trips together. Rachel tells me that my trip journals can be kind of boring because they're too matter of fact. Be that as it may, here goes.


Wednesday, April 18, 2001

Again sitting on the boat (less sand but this time before dark so the bugs are not a problem).

Today had a bunch of stops but only a few rapids.  It's nice to have a big rapid day like yesterday early on.  Steve's much more comfortable with the river and the boat.

Got to play in Vasey's today.  That was very cool!  It's a gorgeous place.  Stopped at Redwall Cavern.  I forgot how big it is so was wowed all over again.  Had fun rigging up with Rick and Manon and playing the Queen of Sheba.

We're getting the boat how we want it which is a good feeling.  Rick's been great, helping Steve with the cooler.  Tom's good too at giving helpful pointers for the rapids.


Sunday June 5, 2005

Today was a long windy day.  We did really well in the rapids, a good confidence booster.  Things did not go well at Vasey's, we basically got left.  Redwall was better; we all pretty much arrived together and left together.  We missed one quickie stop at a seep but led the way into camp after a long pull into a headwind.  We went 22.6 miles today so we can make Phantom in time for the exchange.  Our first camp choice, Upper Saddle, was taken so we're at Lower Saddle.

Less drama today.  Another good day in the Canyon.

No comments: