Sunday, October 11, 2009

April 17, 2001 and June 4, 2005



Steve's on the Grand and I'm not.  What to do?  Try to ignore it?  That's what I thought I was going to do but instead I think I'm going to embrace it.  I've been down the Grand three times myself so for the duration of his trip, I'm going to focus on my memories by posting journal entries and pictures from our previous trips together. Rachel tells me that my trip journals can be kind of boring because they're too matter of fact. Be that as it may, here goes.

Tuesday, April 17, 2001

Tonight I'm sitting on the boat writing a quick note before I go to bed.

We woke up at 5 am beached, got up, got Tom, Rich and Paula, pushed the boats out and went back to bed.

Big day.  Did Soap, House Rock and the Roaring Twenties.  Steve did great.  I got really cold.  Camped about 1.5 miles above South Canyon on river right.

The rapids are totally different on a little boat (compared to a J rig).  Each rapid is a bigger deal, more meaningful.

Gotta end, bugs are driving me crazy around my headlamp.

Saturday, June 4, 2005

Left Soap approximately 9:15 am.  Ran Soap nicely.  Steve says he wasn't able to put the raft where he wanted but we were in a good place the whole way.

I was worried that the Twenties were going to be as frigid an experience as last time.  They weren't for me but the paddle rafters are having a heck of a time staying in their boat.  It's really tough.  They get thrown around and they're not holding on to anything but their paddle.  Not my gig.

The group dynamic is still getting worked out.  Steve sees slights everywhere and I'm seeing very few.  The truth is probably somewhere in between.  Kate and Jason are well meaning but a bit bossy and condescending and they dropped the ball big on a rescue today.  Harrison has worked his ass off for this trip and the food is awesome but he's pawning stuff off and taking agressive lines in the rapids.

Steve's really struggling and I'm wondering if he's having a good time.

It's so beautiful and when we can focus on that, it's magical.

No comments: