Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Recco

Aspen Highlands has a fine slate of avalanche dogs, dogs trained in avalanche rescue. Since my affiliation with Highlands, which began in 2000, Recco, a black lab, had been the grande dame. She was awesome, all business and a bit standoffish with the public, unlike Emma, one of the newer additions who loves to play with the public as they get off the Loge lift. Recco pretty much kept to herself, waiting for those opportunities when she could get out in the snow with her handler. She adored working in the snow. Her entire demeanor would change when Suey was getting ready to take her out.

Ironically, for an avi dog, she really didn't like the avalanche bombs. I remember sitting next to her on a bench as she sat very still and trembled while the patrollers were bombing the Highland Bowl.

Recco retired a few years ago and since she wasn't up at Highlands much or at least not when I was up there, I lost track of her. I assumed she was enjoying her retirement and living the good life here in the Roaring Fork Valley.

I was saddened to see the above remembrance of her in the paper today.

1 comment:

Zee said...

Hi! I came over from NaBloPoMo. I'm challenging myself to comment on as many blogs as possible this month as well as post.

Recco sounded like one great dog. I'm sure she's up there enjoying all the digging in snow she wants.

Happy Posting!