Friday, November 16, 2007

Prematurity Awareness Month

November is Prematurity Awareness Month.

Rachel was 10 weeks premature. Born at 30 weeks weighing 3 lbs 4 oz, she was in the NICU for 51 days. Her weight dropped to 2 lbs 9 oz.

My mom's best friend was struck by the fact that Rachel weighed less than the chicken she was buying for dinner. Check out just how tiny a three pound chicken is the next time you're in the meat section of the grocery store.

Rachel was a scrawny little thing. She looked like a peanut with her wrinkly skin.
Rachel on the day she was born


She came home after her extended hospital stay weighing just under 5 lbs.

Rachel the day she came home from the hospital

Once she was home, she thrived.

Rachel at 6 mos.

Now, almost 16 years later, she's nearly as tall as I am and will probably pass me soon. Her feet are already bigger than mine . . .

Rachel now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just amazing!

Going For Greatness said...

I stumbled upon your blog by googling prematurity and neonatal stuff ( my husband is a neonatologist)
Cracks me up that you live where I moved FROM a few years ago... *sigh* I miss the Valley, grew up there, AHS, Country Day School, etc...
Great blog you have going.. I checked out your photo blog too. Makes me homesick!!
My mom is still in Aspen as are most of my friends. I miss it tons!
Great blog!
~Gabi now in NJ.... *sigh*