Sunday, November 18, 2007

I heart Aspen

In Aspen, the students, no matter what grade, call almost all of their teachers by their first names.

The rare teachers who insist on being called Mr. or Ms. just come across as silly (but of course their wishes are "respected").

When Rachel went on the People to People trip this summer, the chaperones were 3 teachers from Grand Junction, all of whom insisted on being called Mr. and Ms. Rachel ended up getting in a heated discussion with one of them about how ridiculous she thought this was.

In eighth grade, one of Rachel's unmarried teachers became pregnant and had a baby.

Nobody said a word about it. There was no negative backlash, really no commentary at all.

The other day, Rachel, now a sophomore, informed me that her world history teacher who is unmarried has announced that she is pregnant.

All I could do was laugh out loud, exclaiming I love Aspen!

No wonder I fit in here so well . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that people don't react any differently to a woman's pregnancy depending on her marital status. And as for the Mr/Mrs/Ms thing in school I do agree, I don't think that's how one gets respect from students any way.

The titles made sense when children also called their parents' friends Mr. Jones or Mrs. Wilson. Now they probably call them by their first names.