Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day

I had a very nice Valentine's Day.

That's pretty much the way it goes these days.

I used to be one of those singles who detested Valentine's Day since it made me feel lonely. Then I was of those in unhealthy relationships who was conflicted by Valentine's Day since it made me feel insecure.

Now, I just pretty much like Valentine's Day since my husband is such a romantic.

For Valentine's Day, he bought me all the books on my Amazon wishlist marked high priority. 10 books and 1 DVD. Then he sat down and composed cute and appropriate little to and froms for each one, cut them out and made little bookmarks for each.


The Lion in Winter: To My Lion Queen, You make a king out of me. I Love You. from, Your Kind of King.

A Lion Among Men, Volume Three in the Wicked Years: To My Lioness, you bring out the Lion in me. I love You. from, Gemini the Lion.

Devil's Gate, Brigham Young and the Great Mormon Handcart Tragedy: To My Forever Young, I'm complimented by your thorough intelligence. I Love You. from, Your Student of Life.

Lincoln's Melancholy, How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled His Greatness: To My Greatest Greatness, no more melancholy for me 'cause of you. I love you. from, Your Happyboyman.

Wide Sargasso Sea: To My Traveler Wife, I'd like to see the Wide Sargasso Sea with you. Where is it? Does it exist? I Love You. from, Your Armchair Traveler.

In Sunlight, in a Beautiful Garden: To My Sunlight, being the freaky leafy tree I am, I couldn't live without your sunshine. I Love You. From, Your Tree of Life.

Marie Antoinette, The Journey: To My Bridgetteaniette. The journey got profound once I found you. I Love You. from Mark Anthony?

Forever Lily, An Unexpected Mother's Journey to Adoption in China: To My Unexpected Forever, you adopted me and changed my life. I Love You. from, Your LuckyHubby.

Mr. Timothy: To, Mrs. Bielinski/Williams, Mr. Timothy's got nothing on Mr. Steven. I Love You. from Mr. Steven.

Postcards From Ed, Dispatches and Salvos from an American Iconoclast: To My Favorite Post Card. To the edge and back. My road trips were good, then they got better because you joined them. I Love You. from, Your Restless Soul Mate.

In the Shadow of the Ark: To My Safe Haven, that was cool, sitting around doing a crossword puzzle with you today. I love You. from, Your Favorite Wordsmith, Wordwilliams?


Isn't he clever?

It was lightly snowing when he walked home so I asked him if he wanted to walk or take the bus up to dinner. When he insisted on walking, it seemed strange but I didn't think twice. Then, as we walked, I understood why he insisted. There was a heart in the snow on the hood of the car, a heart in the snow on the sidewalk, on the bridge and on a sign. I'm sure he brightened several people's Valentine's Day with his snow graffiti, but the coolest part was that it was all for me.

Then, we had an absolutely yummy dinner at Takah Sushi, finished off with some gratis Lilly Pilly, an absolutely luscious dessert wine. Takah's special Valentine Roll was a great combination of tuna, tempura shrimp, avocado and a raspberry sauce.
We both really wanted to go to Belly Up for Super Diamond but it didn't happen 'cause, you know, we're old. Steve also has been under the weather and he had to work on Sunday.

So, yes, a pretty excellent Valentine's Day. Makes up mightily for all those sucky ones in the past.

What did I get him, you ask? Now, remember, in my defense, I am not nearly as creative or as emotive as he is. I got him a heartfelt card, the book, Six Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak: by Writers Famous and Obscure and tickets to Jerry Jeff Walker next Saturday.

Oh yeah, and I married him . . . ;-)

No comments: