Wednesday, February 04, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

1. My first name is Mary

2. The only major bone I've ever broken is my jaw. I was in second grade and had to start a new school with my jaw wired shut.

3. I used to be a lawyer.

4. I have three tattoos, a pierced belly button and a double ear pierce. Rachel and I have matching tattoos.

5. One of my favorite foods is tuna sushi. If Cache Cache, a restaurant here in Aspen, had put the word tuna on its menu, I would have not tried ahi and would not have later tried sushi.

6. I have a motorcycle license and used to own a motorcycle.

7. Many people are surprised by the fact that Rachel is biracial.

8. Twice in my life when I was about to simply change jobs, I picked up and moved across country instead.

9. I never thought I'd live in Colorado (until I actually did live in Colorado, that is.) I love living in Colorado.

10. I was a complete and total uncoordinated klutz growing up. I still have less than good balance.

11. I used to work for Gary Williams who is now the head mens' basketball coach at the University of Maryland and Ed Tapscott who is now the head coach of the Washington Wizards.

12. I worked on the successful effort to add a multiracial category to the 2000 census.

13. I don't have a TV and therefore am an NPR junkie. I was a TV junkie growing up.

14. The first time I ever skipped school was the second to last week of my senior year in high school. I was kind of a goody goody although I've made up for it a bit since.

15. I don't like beer, except for Guinness. I do like sweet wines like Riesling, White Zinfandel, Gewurztraminer. I also like Pinot Noir. Since I'm a lightweight, I steer clear of hard liquor.

16. I've only been married once. So far.

17. I was picked on, a lot, in grammar school. I believe that it made me a stronger person. But it also makes me less than interested in attending my reunions.

18. As a result of being picked on, I used to be very insecure. I'm not anymore but sometimes that younger insecure me comes for a visit. This annoys me.

19. I read, a lot. When my book club was meeting, I would annoy them by not only reading the selected book but multiple related works.

20. My daughter is my best friend. Usually. Except for when she's being a typical teenager.

21. I thought I was going to go into international relations. Instead, I've ended up in the family business, healthcare.

22. I was intimidated by the thought of strenuous physical activity until 1998 when I hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon with one day's notice in $15 Payless work boots. And survived. And even enjoyed it.

23. After buying a road bike at the end of June 2004, I decided in mid July to do Ragbrai and, at the end of July, rode 500+ miles across Iowa with 10,000 people with no training. And survived. And even enjoyed it.

24. I'm not at ease in social situations. I'm much more comfortable one on one or in very small groups.

25. I've led a charmed life. I'm aware of this fact and am very appreciative of it.

2 comments:

Eric Wittenberg said...

You're still a lawyer, Bridget. You always will be. You were a lawyer before you went to law school. :-)

You just choose (wisely, I might add) not to practice the profession. But, as the old cliche goes, you can take the woman out of the law, but you can't take the lawyer out of the woman......

IamMBB said...

Yep, this is true, much to the chagrin of many of my family members and associates.