Saturday, January 10, 2009

Whiplash!

Fantastic day skiing yesterday. Met some out of town friends at Snowmass at their request and what a great call it turned out to be. Started snowing sometime after 4 am and ended up with more than a foot. Conditions were fabulous everywhere and we just kept going and going.

These friends grew up in Aspen so are extremely familiar with Snowmass (except for some of the newer on-mountain improvements). While I've been skiing Snowmass since 1977, for most of that time, I was stuck at the advanced intermediate level which basically means a lot of groomed blue runs. I'm no longer an advanced intermediate (I call myself a beginning expert now) so I've graduated to blacks and double blacks. Being that I mostly ski at Aspen Highlands since Steve works there and my gear lives in the locker room at the base, when I get over to Snowmass with expert skiers who know the mountain, it's a completely new experience. I get introduced to areas of the mountain that I never knew existed.

Steve and I felt like we were on a ski vacation yesterday.

The only downside was the hard (I mean HARD!) fall that I took towards the end of the day on the Edge. Gave myself a slight case of whiplash so felt it prudent to beg off skiing today.

But it was kinda interesting skiing to the base after the glass (mug?) of hot spiced wine on an empty stomach at High Alpine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Beginning Expert is a very cool status.