Saturday, June 21, 2008

There, I said it.

Now, I'm no Obama fan (there, I said it.)

I can't really verbalize why. He just doesn't pass my gut check. I've felt this way since before I even realized that I felt this way.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm going to vote for him, the cliched "hold my nose and vote for him" vote.

Conversely, I am a Scott Simon (NPR) fan. I enjoy listening to him on Saturday mornings. I like his easygoing, witty style.

But today, he's forcing me to side with Obama.

This morning, on Weekend Edition Saturday, Scott Simon's commentary, Simon Says, focused on some remarks Obama made yesterday in Florida. And I think Simon missed the point.

Obama said,

The choice is clear. Most of all we can choose between hope and fear. It is going to be very difficult for Republicans to run on their stewardship of the economy or their outstanding foreign policy. We know what kind of campaign they’re going to run. They’re going to try to make you afraid. They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. 'He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?'


In his criticism of Obama for "playing the race card," Simon altered Obama's statement ever so slightly, making it appear that Obama had specifically pointed the finger at John McCain.

Granted, John McCain is a Republican . (Although, perhaps not Republican enough for some Republicans.) But, stating that Republicans are going to do certain things in the course of the campaign is not the same as saying that McCain is going to, himself, do those things.

I read Obama's statement above and find it to be remarkably accurate. Obama's talking about the same guys who swift boated Kerry, the same guys who have turned fear mongering into an art.

And, heck yeah, among those voters with whom it will play (and they are out there), the Republicans will be wondering out loud if we really want a black man as president.

Simon is naive if he truly thinks that this is not the case.

An aside: for some reason, while I was working on this post, the CNN Political Ticker post about Obama's Friday comments and the accompanying video disappeared. Now, you see it, now, you don't. Wonder what that's about . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did it go? Very weird.

I think Obama just assessed the most likely Republican strategy.

IamMBB said...

I think they changed the date in the url.