Saturday, May 17, 2008

What a good idea

Susie posted about checking her credit report for free online so I decided to check mine too.

I went to Experian.com and filled out a lot of personal data but when they asked me for my credit card number, I started to get a bit leery. I mean, here I am giving perfect strangers all the information they need to steal my identity.

So, before I clicked OK, I started to read all the fine print and found that I was signing up for some sort of "offer." Not what I had in mind.

The Experian website was good enough to provide me the information on how to get my free credit report without signing up for any sort of "offer" by going to www.annualcreditreport.com.

Just to be safe, I googled annualcreditreport.com and found the FTC website which put the government stamp of approval on the Annual Credit Report website.

So, off I went. The Annual Credit Report website is nice since it allows you to get your free credit report from all three credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. You enter the bulk of your information once and then the Annual Credit Report website takes you to each of the credit bureau websites in turn. Each credit bureau website asks you a few additional questions and then, presto, there's your credit report.

After ascertaining that all was in order and that there weren't any surprises, I printed mine to Microsoft Office Document Image Writer so I could save them to my computer.

Now, I need to check Steve's . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was able to do it without giving a credit card number. I too am very leery of any time they offer something for "free" and require a number. I'm sure they bank on most people forgetting to cancel after 30 days and I consider that a kind of scam.