Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Credit Card Minimums

You may not know this (it seems like a lot of people don't) but having a minimum charge for credit card charges violates a business' merchant agreement with VISA and MasterCard.

I don't run into minimum charges very often but have twice in the last few weeks.

One, at ZG Grill, I already wrote about.

The other happened today at Rocky Mountain Pet Shop.

Personally, I think that credit card minimums are counter productive. Yes, VISA or Mastercard charges a percentage but as far as I'm concerned, the cost is more than balanced by the increased opportunities to make a sale, the efficiencies realized with deposits occurring automatically each day, the convenience of not having to keep and/or make change and the ability to capture revenue immediately.

I did read in yesterday's paper that ZG Grill, along with its sister restaurant, Crust, has been seized by the State for Colorado for nonpayment of taxes. Karma? Or really just another example of shoddy business practices. (I complained about Crust here.)

Today's episode at the Rocky Mountain Pet Shop was over $3 worth of dog treats which I didn't really want since I have plenty here at home. I was making a bit of a guilt purchase, having gone into the store and taken up the salesman's time. When he wouldn't take my credit card, he let me off the hook. But more importantly, he lost a sale (wouldn't a reduced profit be better than no profit) and he lost a customer. While I don't shop there frequently since their prices are kinda high ($20 for a bag of Greenies which I can buy elsewhere for $12), I do shop there.

Or I should say, did shop there.

I came home and researched online how to lodge a complaint against a merchant who is violating his/her merchant agreement by requiring a minimum purchase. According to Bankrate.com, you can email VISA at askvisacorporate@visa.com or call MasterCard at 800-300-3069.

On a more positive note, I have to give kudos to Mondo Cafe in Moab which took my credit card uncomplainingly for a $2 coffee purchase. They were so nice about it that I left a $1 tip.

Photo credit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another thing I hate, which happens overseas, is a merchant that adds the percentage to the customer's charge. That's against policy too.

It's not like they have to pay a minimum like 50 cents for each purchase, right? Then I could see setting a minimum, if it was allowed. Rather than keeping a customer and making a sale less say 9 cents profit, the merchants chose to be short sighted. Their loss.

I'll use the link next time I need to complain. Thanks.