Monday, February 11, 2008

Waaaah!

Last time I really posted about this was over a year ago.

I don't like to complain about my headaches.

I mean, so many others have it so much worse.

My headaches aren't bad enough for me to invest any real energy in any life altering behaviors but they are omnipresent.

I'd say, in my considered medical opinion ("I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV" or should I say, at the office?) that I suffer (suffer??), ok, experience a combination of chronic daily headaches and migraines.

I don't know when they started. It seems like they've always been with me. I do recall that they were obvious enough when I was practicing law in the late 80s/early 90s that I actually saw a neurologist and had a CAT scan to be sure that I didn't have a brain tumor.

Nope, no brain tumor.

Just this annoying, daily pain.

Unlike many migraine sufferers, I rarely get nauseous. So, count me lucky??

I am highly functioning, despite the ever present pain.

And, yet . . .

It does affect my behavior. I can be a bear when the pain is particularly bad.

My daughter is acutely tuned into it.

But I can also proudly say that she presents me to her friends as an example of functioning through the pain, rather than being sidelined by it.

Anyhow, all of this is really just a way to inform you that the New York Time, yes, The New York Times, is sponsoring a migraine blog.

And I'm writing this through a haze of migraine induced and wine exacerbated malaise.

So sorry if it's not really making any sense . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a model of Stoicism. I've had migraines and seem to get them from caffeine and emotional stress. I first got them when I worked at Respite Care with children with disabilities who were removed from their home. Then I did get nauseous.

I can get them from MSG. I deal with them by laying down in a dark room and taking some otc meds. Knock on wood I haven't had one for a while.