Thursday, February 07, 2008

A Violent Disturbance in a Small Compass

I lied.

I said I was going to caucus Tuesday night.

But I didn't.

And I'm kinda glad.

I would have found it extremely frustrating.

Why, you ask? (I know you didn't really but just pretend.)

Well, because the organizers drastically underestimated the attendance. The most they've ever had turn up for such an event has been 100. So they more than doubled that and planned for 250.

They got north of 500.

The room was too small and was maxed. It was shoulder to shoulder and for the past two days, the papers have been full of grumblings regarding what a fiasco it was. More than 50 people left without even voting.

If I had attended, I would have been one of them. I don't deal well in such situations.

My understanding of the caucus process is that it's supposed to allow for discussion and the free flow of ideas. It doesn't sound like anything was flowing freely at the Democratic caucus in Aspen on Tuesday night. The organizers are putting a positive spin on it, sayings things like "It's one fo the pleasures and joys of direct democracy." The attendees have been a bit more uncomplimentary. There are also accusations that Hilary supporters were treated rather poorly.

To be honest, I was feeling like a slacker for not attending.

That is, until I read the newspaper coverage.

Image Credit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love being part of the process, but only if I'm not part of a mob.