Monday, February 18, 2008

Andy Goldsworthy

I pay attention.

I pay attention to things that are going on here in Aspen, community events, concerts, movies, talks, etc.

So, I was paying attention on Friday and discovered that Andy Goldsworthy was going to be at the Aspen Institute for a reception on Saturday and a talk on Sunday.

Andy Goldsworthy is a British artist living in Scotland (thus he's often referred to as a Scottish artist) who creates sculpture and environmental art, that is art using materials found in the environment around him.

I first became acquainted with him when a friend of Steve's lent us the DVD, Rivers and Tides. Rivers and Tides is a documentary which spotlights Andy Goldsworthy and his creative technique. Steve found it so inspiring that he immediately went out in our backyard and created an ice sculpture using the large icicles we grow every winter.

Goldsworthy is permanently connected with the Aspen Institute by virtue of his Stone River installation which not only graces the Aspen Institute grounds but actually continues right through the Doerr-Hosier Center. Goldsworthy said that he was especially excited to see it in all of its snow covered glory this weekend.

Steve and I missed the reception on Saturday but made Sunday's talk. Since we couldn't get there until after Steve got off work, there were some stressful moments where we were running late, the Institute's parking was full and so we had to park and take a shuttle which had to wait for every straggler imaginable. But I practiced my deep breathing techniques and managed not to perform.

It all worked out. Although we walked in late, we found seats in the back almost immediately. The Doerr-Hosier Center is quite state of the art with large flat screen monitors and speakers well placed throughout the room. Even though we were in the back, Steve could hear quite well which is always a plus.

Goldsworthy is witty and humorous and he's openly provides much insight into how and why he creates.

He currently has a show at the Aspen Institute entitled Two Creeks which consists entirely of photographs of what he calls his ephemeral art created in Hunter Creek and Woody Creek here in the Roaring Fork Valley.

Hunter Creek is right outside my back door and all I could think was where was I while all this art was being created.

Then I found out that the exhibit opened on 12/21/07.

Maybe I don't pay as much attention as I think I do.

No comments: