Sunday, January 20, 2008

Exercise in Nostalgia?

Jesus Christ Superstar

What a fun afternoon.

From the start, it was clear that the music was very familiar and much loved by many present.

When Ted Neeley appeared, the crowd erupted. The staging was specially designed to enhance this reaction but still, there it was.

While I'm extremely familiar with the original recording, having listened to it untold times, I had never seen the live theater production. I enjoyed it as much because of my appreciation for the music as for the performances.

Corey Glover as Judas Iscariot and Tiffini Dodson as Mary Magdalene shone and Craig Sculli's portrayal of Pontius Pilate was a pearl.

It was cool from the perspective of nostalgia to see Ted Neeley live but, while he did a remarkable job for his age, the role is really one more suited to a younger man.

My only other complaint is that the ending of the play was marred by the crucifixion scene which was too long and overdone.

That and the fact that the girls were in Row B while I was in Row V.

But that just gets back to the cool mom thing . . .

No comments: