Monday, January 28, 2008

Behind the glitz

I have an ambivalent relationship with Winter X Games.

I love the glitz, the lights shining from Buttermilk, the energy, the attention.

I like having "our" X Games athlete, Kevin Connolly, come stay with us. I like hearing the behind the scenes stories he brings back from the venue.

I like seeing the buses from Rocky Mountain National Park and Vail tooling around town.

I watch the coverage. Sometimes I even brave the crowds to venture out to Buttermilk.

But . . .

The X Games crowd contains a significant percentage of riff-raff. Lots of drunk jerks. Last year, riding the bus at noon was very eye opening. Amazing how many "kids" were out of control that early in the day. I don't envy the bus drivers.

This year's X Games brought 72,500 people to town (remember Aspen has a year round population of 6,000), many of whom are people who would never venture to Aspen otherwise.

Town gets trashed. It was better this year since the in-town concerts with such big names as John Legend weren't repeated but still our parking lot here at the office was strewn with beer and soda cans and various other litter and the ATM vestibule at my bank was disgusting (see above).

And to top it off, this morning Steve and I discovered that our car had been burglarized. Since the car was snow covered, we didn't realize that anything was amiss until we opened the door to be greeted with papers strewn around and the center console and the glove compartment gaping at us.

We lost my brand new GPS, a CB radio, four car chargers for various devices and a few other cables.

Gotta love X Games . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How maddening! When you are actually burglarized the aggravation level soars. Or would for me.

IamMBB said...

For some reason, I'm very philosophical about it. It'll cost about $250 to replace what we'll replace (our deductible is $500 so no insurance claim) and I can't really do anything about it (I told all my neighbors and filed a police report) so I'm basically shrugging my shoulders.

rabiel said...

You're much more philosophical about it than I would be!! And it gives me a creepy feeling about leaving the car unlocked in the future, with or without X Games.