Friday, April 18, 2008

Why you should feel sorry for me or aren't I a martyr?

Rachel has been in Ashland, Oregon this week on Ex-Ed.

Ex-Ed is short for Experiential Education and it's a program through Aspen High School whereby the entire high school goes on these really cool trips. Now, they don't all go together, they just all go the same week.

There are lots of cool choices. They go camping in the Tetons and bicycling in the Bay Area. They volunteer in Harlem and Pearlington. They do a music trip to Memphis and an arts trip to Denver. The trips are structured so that there are members of all classes (freshmen through senior) on them and they are assigned by lottery, although you do get to indicate your preferences.

Last year, Rachel took a raft trip through Cataract Canyon, her first choice. This year, she's on a theatre trip (a Shakespeare trip) to Ashland, Oregon, again her first choice. This doesn't usually happen. She thinks she going to get her last choice next year.

So, you're thinking, so far, so good. Why should I feel sorry for you?

Well, I'll tell you. See, I have to pick Rachel up at 9:30 am tomorrow morning.

Still don't see the problem?

Well, I have to pick Rachel up at DIA.

Which is in Denver. On the far side of Denver.

Which is at least 4 hours away. And sometimes more.

So, I have to leave at 4:30 am tomorrow morning to drive 8 hours round trip (at least) to pick up my offspring.

Now, don't you feel sorry for me?

Remind me again why I had a kid?

Oh yeah, never mind . . .

Photo Credit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She must be booked on a ridiculously early flight. I do pity you; 4:30 is an ungodly time to be up.