Tuesday, April 29, 2008

An American Flag in Paris

On Sunday, the Paris Daily Photo blog posted a photo of a giant American flag being paraded down a street in Paris.

It brought to mind a reminiscence from my first trip to Paris.

It was 30 years ago and I was an oblivious teenager.

I traveled to Paris from Ramstein, Germany with my immediate family and my uncle and his family. 13 of us all together. We called it the Polish Invasion.

We arrived in Paris on the Fourth of July and, after a slight car accident in which my dad in his brand new Mercedes rear ended my uncle's Volvo, we checked into our hotel. When my cousins, brothers and I went to the window of our rooms to look out at our Paris street, we saw multiple American flags flying in the breeze.

At first, this did not seem odd. Then, it dawned on us that, wait, we were in France, not the US.

I was very impressed with what I saw as a marvelous French expression of support for the American Independence Day.

Only recently did I learn that we were staying in an American military hotel . . .

Photo Credit

2 comments:

rabiel said...

REARENDED...!!!REARENDED...!!!
We barely touched. There was only a "slight" dent in the front license plate from the trailer hitch and NO damage to the front bumper!!

IamMBB said...

I don't know. As one of the two people sitting in the rear facing back seat of the Volvo, it sure looked like rearended as that big brown Mercedes tried to climb in the back seat with us.