Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thwarted

I needed to get 12 gift certificates for an employee appreciation thing we do.

I cannot tell you how hard this simple task has been.

I've been trying since Friday and still have not succeeded.

First I went to Ben & Jerry's in Aspen. For some reason, the high school boy working behind the counter was completely oblivious to the fact that there were two entirely different songs blaring out of the speakers in the store. "Oh. I hadn't noticed," he mumbled when I pointed it out to him.

I guess I'm showing my age but this alone was giving me an unbelievable headache.

He then spent 15 minutes figuring out that he didn't have enough gift certificates. And another several minutes failing to comprehend that if I couldn't get all the gift certificates I needed, I didn't want any of them.

Next, I tried Saxy's in Basalt. I stopped there on my way home from Denver yesterday after having been driving for almost 12 hours. The girl there told me that she didn't have any gift certificates but they'd probably have some today. So I asked if I could get a call this morning to let me know for sure. She left a note and happily I did get a call this morning. The woman I spoke to was a bit confused but seemed to understand what I needed by the end of the conversation and told me the gift certificates would be waiting for me to pick up this afternoon.

Since I had decided to get only some of the gift certificates from Saxy's, this afternoon before I headed downvalley, I stopped at Paradise Bakery here in Aspen to pick up the rest. I was running late but didn't think it would be too time consuming. Wrong. After 20 minutes of watching the guy at the cash register scan brand new gift cards and then discard them as used, I left empty handed. I'm convinced that he was doing something wrong but it's not like I could tell him that.

At this point, knowing that I would not be distributing these employee rewards at today's end of the season get together, I decided to still stop by Saxy's so that at least I'd have some of the gift certificates in hand.

No such luck.

When I got to Saxy's, there were only 2 gift certificates left. I needed 5. It turns out that while they had had enough this morning, they hadn't put them aside for me and had sold a few during the day.

Although very frustrated, I asked that the owner give me a call so that I could arrange to get them later in the week. The owner was there when I was but she was on the phone and I was running late, so I figured it made more sense for her to call me.

It's now 4 hours later and she has yet to do so.

I think I'm just going to go to Target . . .

Photo Credit

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This should have been simple, you'd think. When a complex request doesn't get handled quickly one's prepared for it. Yet gift certificates should be easy as pie.

What about Starbucks? Target is a good solution. It's really not worth your time.

IamMBB said...

You're the second person to suggest Starbucks. Great idea. Except, they're closed for the off season. Where else does Starbucks close for a few weeks?