Tuesday, December 23, 2008

LIttle Annie's? Not so much . . .

They have good ribs.

Otherwise, not so much.

I don't know why I keep bothering. The service is surly, it's crowded (why?), the food just doesn't speak to me.

It's one of the less expensive places in Aspen (remember, everything's relative so it's not cheap) so the other night when we were doing the usual "Where do you want to go to dinner? I don't know, where do you want to go?" thing for our party of five, I actually suggested Little Annie's. Mistake. I think it's kinda like childbirth, the bad memories fade too quickly.

They had a blackened ahi special and as you might remember, I love ahi. But, like most everything, I'm kinda picky about my ahi. I really only like it rare. Best way to ruin a nice piece of ahi? Cook it past rare.

So when I ordered, I ordered it rare. The server immediately objected (I should have been paying attention). But she checked with the kitchen and they assured her they could prepare it to my liking (how hard can it be?), so I blindly plunged forward.

Wrong.

The ahi came out cooked completely through. Grey, grey, grey. And the rice pilaf was really dry.

After much thought since I didn't want to order something else after having returned something (worried about kitchen staff retaliation), I handed the full plate back to the server and asked her to take it off our check.

Which she did. With apologies.

And then proceeded to add an automatic 18% gratuity to our check.

No comments: