Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Four eyes

I was first diagnosed with myopia in 1970 after it was noticed that I squinted a lot and sat very close to the TV.

I first put contacts (hard contacts in those days) in my eyes in 1976 (and almost immediately gave myself bilateral corneal abrasions by not adhering to the adjustment schedule mandated by my ophthalmologist).

31 years later, I have most likely taken my contacts out for the very last time this very evening. (-6.00 correction, I'll have you know)

Two weeks from tomorrow, I'm scheduled to have IntraLase Lasik surgery at the Dishler Institute in Denver.

The first step to Lasik surgery, after scheduling the appointment, that is, is to stop wearing contact lenses for 14 days prior to surgery.

I used to wear my contact lenses for months on end. I slept in them. I put my glasses in storage in 1992 and didn't lay eyes on them again until 2006.

A year ago, it would not have been possible for me to go 2 weeks without wearing my contacts since I didn't have anything to use in their stead.

And now, here I am, basically done with my contacts for good.

The hardest part of the next two weeks will be dealing with the sun since I don't have prescription sunglasses and it certainly doesn't make any sense to get them now.

The thing I'm looking forward to the most is lying in bed looking out the glass doors at the stars in our dark Colorado night skies. I haven't been able to enjoy this since I stopped wearing my contacts to bed (at my optometrist's insistence).

5 comments:

Eric Wittenberg said...

Having seen you in your glasses more than once, I understand. And, as you may recall, I am as blind as you are.

I am insanely jealous of you, just as I am of Susan. Susan had Lasik nearly three years ago, and is 20-20 in both eyes after a lifetime of being nearsighted as all get out. She got a fabulous result--she was able to read license plates clearly on the way home from the doctor's office the day of the surgery, for Pete's sake. I hope you get as good a result.

I was evaluated for Lasik at the same time she was, and I am not a candidate for any of the current procedures. My corneas are too thin, and the surgeon won't do the procedures for fear that he won't leave me with sufficient tissue. I can genuinely say that hearing that particular item of news was, without question, THE most disappointing thing that I've ever heard. I was crushed. Absolutely devastated. So, I soldier on wearing contact lenses. I've been wearing them for 33 years now, and I guess I will continue to do so, only now one is a bifocal lens.

Is your doc going to do monovision?

Best of luck with it. I'm jealous.

Eric

IamMBB said...

Since I haven't had my evaluation yet, it has occurred to me that getting shot down is a possibility and I imagine my reaction would be identical to yours.

Except that then I'll have a 4 hour drive home stewing in disappointment.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Eric Wittenberg said...

Bridget,

Let me know. I'll be living vicariously. :-)

Eric

Anonymous said...

Sheila from Marillac had this as did my sister-in-law. Last week though Sheila mentioned that now she's getting far-sighted as we all do (at the last appointment my doctor said my eyes were "getting better" I felt good till she added "due to age"). Both Sheila and Tundi said they have to extend their arms to say read a menu. I'm not at that stage. Have you asked about this phenomena?

IamMBB said...

Yep, I'm aware of the phenomenon. There is some sort of a bifocal procedure available. Farsightedness hit Steve last fall when he was in Hawaii so he has reading glasses all over the place. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. Part of me feels like if all I have to deal with is farsightedness then I'll be just like everyone who's had 20/20 vision all their lives . . .