Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Jeers to Consumer Reports

I can't let my last post be without expressing how irritated I am with Consumer Reports.

I have been a subscriber to Consumer Reports magazine since I was in college (which is to say, for decades) and I have always sworn by it. My siblings got sick of my refrain, "Well, Consumer Reports says . . ." Most of my purchases, especially my "big ticket items," have been vetted through Consumer Reports first.

Not long ago, I discovered to my dismay that, in order to access the Consumer Reports' website, Consumer Reports magazine subscribers are expected to pay an additional 73% of the subscription price. This to access information for which I've already paid to receive in magazine form.

Their justification is that it costs a lot to maintain a website and they are a non-profit. Understanding this, I would not object to a small additional charge for magazine subscribers; I just object to an additional charge equal to 73% of my subscription cost.

Hence, no link to their website is included in this post or the last.

I guess I showed them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is infuriating. Every library in the country carries the magazine and always will so they have that guarantee. Like you I always look at Consumer Reports before I buy anything electronic. I got the best iron based on their recommendation. And of course when I buy a car I check out CR. That 73% charge does seem quite excessive.