Saturday, December 09, 2006

AtomicTumor

I follow a few blogs regularly. I read WaiterRant, The Company Bitch, PostSecret, Rantings of a Civil War Historian, Ruined for Life and since November 17, AtomicTumor.

I basically don't comment on any of them and other than occasionally using them as entrees into my own musings, I don't mention them here.

I like it like that. I'm a lurker. I'm the same way (for the most part) on the multiple email lists to which I subscribe (work lists - Part B, CRN, Private Payer and personal lists - GCPBA, RRFW, Idahowhitewater, IC friends, etc).

I'm compelled, however, to talk about AtomicTumor. I stumbled upon his blog the day his 28 year old wife of 10 years died after a short, unexpected and intense illness. His blog was addictive. He posted frequently, multiple times a day, and shared everything. I checked in quite often and was usually rewarded with a new post for my effort.

I always read the posts and rarely checked the comments. I wasn't interested in other people's reactions to AT. I was interested in what he had to say.

But, I appear to have missed something which I can only surmise played out in the comments. On Thursday and Friday, AT was pondering whether it was helpful for him to continue to blog and it appears that he stepped on some toes with an off the cuff reference he made to the organ donation people who were present as his wife was dying.

Now remember, AtomicTumor is AT's house and we're all invited guests. I realize it's a public blog and all but it's his house. He's working through some stuff that I have no way of identifying with and he's laying it out there as honestly as I think it can be done. If he was rubbed the wrong way by how he was treated by the organ donation people as his wife was on her death bed, then he's got a right to talk about it.

Granted, I'm a lurker by inclination but I can't say that I can see where it's really anyone's place to call him on something like that.

But then again, people are stupid.

So, now he's pissed and he's taken down the AtomicTumor blog including all of the archives. He's started over in HTML since Saturday and he's still posting, still being honest, still trying to figure it out. He's also still talking about whether he should still be posting.

I'm selfish. I want him to continue, at least until after I get bored. I like checking in on him and seeing how he's doing.

But, I hope that, stop or continue, he does what's best for him. He doesn't owe anyone anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued and will check out his blog. The internet does seem to be a place where people feel it's okay to be offensive, rude and offer unsolicited advice.