Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Your Ticket to Freedom


2006 BBW; Read Banned Books: They're Your Ticket to Freedom

This week is Banned Books Week so I was glad to see that Rachel had just finished reading Of Mice and Men, the fourth most challenged book of 2003, for her Lit and Comp class.

According to the American Library Association, a challenge is "defined as formal, written complaints filed with a library or school requesting that materials be removed because of content or appropriateness." It's kind of amazing to look over recent years' lists of most challenged books.

I'm happy to say that I've read many of them! I still clearly remember the impression Go Ask Alice made on me when I read it in high school.

I encourage you to poke around the ALA website for a while. You'll be surprised.

Then again, maybe you won't be.

1 comment:

Writer Girl said...

I really liked Of Mice and Men. And then like the day I finished it I recieved Travels with Charley from my Grandparents. I remember when mom was telling them I had just finished Of mice and Men, she made a mistake and agravated me a ton.

Darling Daughter