Saturday, September 30, 2006

Discouraged

I was quite disappointed to discover that my Democratic senator (we have one of each here in Colorado) voted for the unconstitutional suspension of habeas corpus and expansion of the powers of the king, I mean, chief executive.

At least he voted against the ridiculous Republican security act, AKA the border security fence.

Below is his attempt to explain himself. I'd love to know what his real motivations were. Given that Colorado is a fairly Red state, I wonder if it wasn't pure pragmatism. Did he vote his conscience or did he vote his future?

U.S. Senator Ken Salazar
Member: Agriculture, Energy, Veterans' Affairs, Ethics and Aging Committees
2300 15th Street, Suite 450 Denver, CO 80202
702 Hart Senate Building, Washington, D.C. 20510

For Immediate Release
September 28, 2006
CONTACT: Cody Wertz – Comm. Director
303-455-7600
Andrew Nannis – Press Secretary
202-224-5852

Sen. Salazar Votes for Legislation Authorizing Military Tribunals

WASHINGTON, D.C. – United States Senator Ken Salazar released the following statement after voting for legislation that would create a military tribunal system.

“The bill I voted for today was the best bill we could reasonably expect in this highly charged political environment. I am relieved that Senators McCain, Warner and Graham, former Secretary of State Collin Powell, and others helped preserve the fundamentals articulated in the Geneva Convention; a cornerstone to preserving America’s moral high ground in the global efforts against terror.

“Due to the many controversial and far-reaching implications of this bill, I believe it would be appropriate to force Congressional review of this bill in five years. I have concerns with this bill, but on balance it meets my personal view of what America needs to get the job done.”


Ken's brother, John Salazar, my Democratic representative, echoed his brother's votes but, unlike Ken, John seems to be avoiding explaining himself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is he up for election this year?

I'm really concerned about the loss of our constitutional rights, how some citizens easily feel, "well, with the terrorists we must give up certain things," and how a senator, presumably, will vote for his future rather than maintaining his integrity and voting as those who voted him in thought he would.

What do we do? When we surrender our rights, we become less democratic and more of a nation like those we claim to oppose ideologically (and militarily).

I could go on, but I won't. (I've got papers to grade). Later I shall.