Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Wheel of Change

I've been giving Sunday's post a lot of thought and something disturbing has occurred to me.

It has been 4 years since my most recent major change. In my adult years, I can't recall ever going this long without moving or changing jobs or changing relationships or doing some combination at the same time.

Have I been practicing frequent change as a way to keep myself engaged? Or as avoidance?

I don't think I want to keep repeating my past patterns. It's so disruptive. I think (?) I want to stay in one place.

But that then forces me to face a more difficult question. If I don't have semi-constant change to distract me, where do I find the challenge?

Is this some sort of middle-age conundrum? Should I be reading Gail Sheehy? Geez, I remember seeing Passages on my mom's night stand when I was in high school . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The next three chapters I'm about to read in What Should I Do with My Life? address this very issue. This book by Po Bronson in a thoughtful look at how people address this question. He doesn't just accept off the cuff responses to this. He really ponders what people say and most of his interviewees carefully analyze how they deal with this issue.

The chapter I just read was about a unique guy about our age who actually has only had one employer. For our generation, that's highly unusual.

It's well written and I think would be great for people to read. It would really be a great book to read for parents with college age kids, a way to be involved with a kid that's more helpful than say nagging about interviews or job offers.

Writer Girl said...

I think that change might be good, buyt the only change I want to happen is for Erin to magically be in 9th grade. because as much as I am enjoying having good grades, I would like to see my best friend more than once a month, thank you.

Darling Daughter

IamMBB said...

You and Erin is kind of like Lane & Rory, except that they live walking distance from each other.

IamMBB said...

So, did Po have any pearls of wisdom??

IamMBB said...

My husband of four years says that I'm freaking him out . . .