Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Whiner

I work in a building that was built some time in the 1880s (we think).

It's pretty awesome and funky and unique.

It's got character.

It's also got old, historic windows that don't open.

Now in Aspen, that's usually not a problem. It doesn't really get hot here. Or at least it doesn't get hot here very often or for very long.

However, in my little office, on the second (or top) floor with four computer servers, a copier and a printer and the windows that don't open, it can get pretty darn warm in July and August.

So much so that there are afternoons when my office is a good 10+ degrees warmer than the rest of the building.

So much so that sometimes I have to leave early because I'm just too hot and irritable to be productive.

So much so that I recently brought a room thermometer so that I'll know just how hot it is when I'm too hot and irritable to be productive.

Well, after listening to Morning Edition this morning, I feel like a big ole whiner. It seems that for government buildings in Japan, the air conditioning is set at 28 degrees celsius or 82 degrees fahrenheit. Factor in printers, PCs and other machines and the temp climbs to 31 degrees celsius or 88 degrees fahrenheit.

All of this in offices which aren't nearly as tolerant of the casual dress code (tank tops, capris and flip flops) that I'm able to get away with.

Illustration credit.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Try working in Nigeria! The office building has central air but on some days, I am not sure it is on at all. I work in a large enclosed room (small open windows around just below the ceiling) with 11 computers, each with two monitors pumping out heat. We have two large standing fans that are on so high at times to help cool the room that everything must be moved off of the desks or held down with a paper weight! I will take a thermometer to work this week to record the temperature. Anyway... I can empathize. working in the heat does wear on you over the course of the day and I get a bit irritable too! ; )

Lisa M. in Lagos, Nigeria

Lisa said...

The digital thermometer in my office in Nigeria read 84 degrees in the morning and it cooled off to a chilly 82 degrees on Friday! No wonder I have not been that productive! I think the AC must be having a problem. I am going to send a note to management because the heat is just too much!

Lisa