Saturday, October 13, 2007

Happy?

I've been feeling pretty contented recently. While nothing's perfect, my job, kid, husband, house, hometown, etc., are all pretty good.

Life is good.

Yesterday, I got a phone call out of the blue offering me a job 45 miles away for approximately 3 times what I'm making now.

Wow.

I said, thanks, but no thanks. I was asked to consider it a little longer so I said I'd talk to my husband and get back to them if I was interested.

It's a job with a lot of growth potential and increased earning potential (over and above the immediate 300% increase).

I am extremely flattered. I am a bit intimidated.

My house is tied to employment in Pitkin County. This job offer is not in Pitkin County.

It would mean commuting 2 hours a day, which I used to do. 15 years ago.

I purposefully opted out of the rat race. But, as it stands right now, we don't know how we're going to pay for Rachel's college or our retirement. This would certainly help.

I always knew that I was undervaluing myself but justified it by counting it as a sacrifice necessary to live in such an incredible place.

Now, that sacrifice has been quantified. When assessing the balance sheet, how do you quantify the unquantifiable, the other side of the equation, the intangible?

3 comments:

rabiel said...

Your mother tried to send a comment to your blog, but sent it as an email, I think...
Hope you get it either way...
Must have made you feel extra special.
Dad

IamMBB said...

Judy Bielinski has sent you a link to a blog:

What a feather in your cap!! And what a dilemma or is it?? Rachel's college tuition does put a new spin on earnings. Glad I am not faced with this one. Good for the ego, though!

Anonymous said...

Wow, indeed. I'm tempted to tell them your situation. Could you telecommute? Could you open your own consultancy (using your current office space and your current employers as one of your clients)?

Should you mention this to the doctors you work for now? Would they be able to up your salary and thus help with the college costs etc?

Don't say no too quick. What a great affirmation and information on your worth whatever you do.