Sunday, June 17, 2007

A whole lot of scoring going on

Yet another fabulous day at Food and Wine.

Sunday seminars usually have fairly spotty attendance but not so with our session, Brian Duncan's reprise of his Perfect Wine and Food Pairings. We ran out of wine and had to short some of the latecomers.

Oh well, they do tell everyone to arrive at least 15 minutes early to insure their seats.

Instead to trying to get across town to another seminar, I sat in the prep tent and guzzled Vouvray, Reisling and Gewurztraminer.

Teardown went really quickly and I scored a bottle of Osborne Premium Pedro Ximenez Sweet Sherry during the volunteer raffle. One of the panelists in the Like Wine for Chocolate seminar suggested serving it with vanilla ice cream and dark chocolate shavings, so, later during the Grand Tasting, I went to the Hershey premium chocolate booth and scored some chocolate too.

I really was hoping to snag a bottle of the Gewurtztraminer that Brian Duncan was serving but the committee co-chairs had squirreled it away for themselves.

The perks of being in charge.

We had enough time between being released from our assignment and the start of the last Grand Tasting that I was able to get home to drop off my haul of sherry and Fiji water. I got over to the Tasting tent just in time to join the end of the line as it entered.

Perfect timing.

I drank more heavily than at any other tasting, trying a Martini Asti with strawberry puree, a Cointreau white sangria, a vodka/apple/sugar concoction, three or four Reislings, a couple of Pinot Noirs, a couple of Gewurztraminers and my favorite Sergio Prosecco and Mionetto Il Moscato.

I partook of the food too and perfected my trick of avoiding the line at the Academie Barilla booth with its exquisite cheeses and cured ham by waiting until the 10 minutes to go announcement to make my way over there.

I scored another pound of Starbucks coffee (my third) but did manage to lose my sunglasses.

I consoled myself with a big glass of the Mionetto Il Moscato and then shamelessly hung out at the Mionetto booth at the end until the wonderful Mionetto representative took pity on me and gifted me a bottle of the Moscato.

Yes! Life is sweet (as is the alcohol).

Oh, and I never did spit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heaven. I love that you scored so many free goodies.