Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Tempest, revisited

On Sunday, May 27, I wrote a post regarding one of the current issues generating letters to the editor. One of those letters to the editor was mine in which I, more succinctly, repeated what I stated here on my blog.

The individual whose letter generated my response finally got around to replying in today's paper. Basically my question was why was he entitled to free parking and basically his response was because he's a hard-working parent.

Truth is, the permit is a very nice perk for parents; it takes away just a little stress that most hardworking parents have on a daily basis.

Hmmm. That's persuasive.

I really don't care who gets to use the carpool permits. It's not an issue in which I have anything invested. However, from an intellectual perspective, the parents' attempts to justify their gaming the system by claiming entitlement due to the fact that they are "hard working parents" begs a comeback.

Make me a well-reasoned, rational argument based on accomplishing the goals of the carpooling permit benefit, please.

The letter writer also did a little (too little) research and discovered that I live at the base of a mountain which is host to many junior high school sized second homes. In yet another example of stunning mental acuity, he jumped to the conclusion that I belong in the second home owners' tax bracket.

Well Bridget, I don't live at the base of Red Mountain like you do. I did hear rumors that at the confluence of Hunter Creek and the Roaring Fork there are trees that sprout dollar bills. If so, then my problems are solved. Otherwise, I'll just keep working hard to provide for my family.

The truth is that he lives downvalley, where housing is free market and appreciating at double digit rates, while I live in deed restricted housing where I'm limited to appreciation of 3% per year.

By his logic, I should be the one getting free parking in town.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He isn't using reason and yet the paper prints his letters. I have a problem with the low bar set by the editors. He comes off as a hot head who wants perks and is unable to think.