Friday, June 22, 2007

Food & Wine residual or Are you sick of me yet?

Food & Wine ended Sunday afternoon and by Monday, I had already had two opportunities to put my newly acquired knowledge to use.

Sunday night, for Father's Day, we went out to dinner at Gusto Ristorante, one of the Italian restaurants here in town. As a result of the Sparkling Substitutes seminar taught by Mark Oldman, I had a glass of the Prosecco which had been a complete unknown to me less than a week earlier.

On Monday, Steve and I were wandering through town at dinnertime and decided to eat at Takah Sushi, where I ordered a glass of the Reisling to complement the wasabi as suggested by Brian Duncan in the Perfect Wine and Food Pairings seminar.

I had Steve taste the Reisling by itself and, as I had anticipated, he found it a bit too sweet. I then had him taste it after eating some spicy Atomic Shrimp and he was amazed at the way the flavors combined.

Fun stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to eat out with you. Too bad you can't come to France.

Any basic suggestions of what I should buy if I were to get a few bottles for home use?

IamMBB said...

Yeah, I may have unintentionally misled a bit regarding the depth of my newly acquired knowledge. I can, however, give you a list of the wines we tasted in the Price Is Right seminar: Jacob's Creek Sparkling Rose, Brampton's Chardonnay Unoaked, Crossroads Sauvignon Blanc, Vina Alarba Grenache "Old Vines," MontGras Carmenere Reserva, Cusumano Syrah and Mionetto Il Muscato. As we were constantly reminded, so much is dependent on your personal taste. I have a dominant sweet tooth so my preferences swing that way. Some other favorites of mine were the Ceretto Moscato d'Asti I Vignaioli di Santo Stefano, the Pierre Sparr Gewurztraminer Selection de Grains Nobles, the Fitz-Ritter Gewurztraminer Spatlese and the Loosen Brothers Riesling QbA Mosel-Saar-Ruwer "Dr L." My favorite red was the Roar Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands Rosella's Vineyard. My mom brought over a Castle Rock Pinot Noir the other night which was delicious.