Saturday, June 16, 2007

Still not spitting

It was really hard getting out of bed this morning. Really hard.

But I kinda forgot all about that when I started drinking at 9 am.

Yep, 9 am, there I was tasting six different Reislings with Andrea Immer Robinson.

Of course, by then I'd already been "at work" since 8 am, so that makes it ok.

I like Reislings. I like Gewurtztraminers. I had forgotten how much I like these.

I really like Mionetto Moscato and Sergio Prosecco. At $10 a bottle, I don't think I'll fall in the snob category any time soon.

I attended 3 out of 4 seminars today: Reislings Around the World, Green Grapes and Ham (a ham and wine pairing led by Danny Meyer of Union Square Hospitality Group and Dan Phillips of Grateful Palate) and the Perfect Wine and Food Pairings (Brian Duncan from Bin 36 in Chicago). I learned so much. I would have never thought to put together wasabi peas with Reisling or tomatoes with Gewurtztraminer. And ham, who knew that different hams paired so well with different wines.

And the Grand Tastings, so much good stuff. Once again, I didn't do much tasting at the early show since I had to continue to function for the rest of the afternoon but I ate, boy did I eat. There was lemon pepper ahi and some yummy fish with paprika sandwich (provided by Starbucks no less). There was caviar, rib eye, prime rib, aged cheese, proscuitto, cured Spanish ham, sushi, barbecue, and loads of things I could only describe, not name.

At the afternoon Grand Tasting, I did more tasting but even there the number of choices is just overwhelming. And a lot of the stuff is really high end. A friend's philosophy is that it's the only time she'll be able to taste most of this stuff. My thought is I don't want to know what I'm missing.

One more day . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do think I'm an epicuriean by nature and love the vicarious thrill I've felt reading about this event.