Sunday, February 25, 2007

Old news

Listening to This American Life this morning, I learned for the first time of an EPA decision in November of 2005 to cite the Blommer Chocolate Factory for clean air violations which would (did?) result in the factory installing filters.

According to Crain's Chicago Business, the downside of the filters (downside to most) is that they will also put an end to the chocolate aromas which, since 1939, have delighted tourists and commuters.

I can't say for sure that I was ever really aware of this phenomenon, living in the suburbs as I did, but I want to say that I was. Either way, it seems a loss. (and yes, I'm aware that not all would agree)

To my mind, this is yet another example of government intrusion.

The Chicago Tribune article and the This American Life segment both pointed out how the EPA has refused to take action on more than 7600 violations by Illinois power plants at the same time it was citing Blommer's with two violations.

Hmmm. Perhaps Blommer's needs more political clout and a better lobbyist . . .

No comments: