Friday, February 16, 2007

Can't win for losing?

It turns out that in addition to being good for the environment, compact fluorescent light bulbs are bad for the environment.

Ain't that always the way?

CFLs contain mercury and should be recycled to avoid mercury exposure and contamination.

However, only certain facilities are set up to recycle CFLs. I checked earth911.org and found out that my closest recycling center is in . . .

Phoenix.

Granted, CFLs are supposed to have a two year warranty so I guess I only have to drive the 708 miles to Phoenix once every couple of years to properly dispose of my hazardous waste . . .

On the upside, a friend tells me I can get dimmable CFLs at buylighting.com.

Hmmm, if they break in transit, who's responsible for the mercury cleanup?

No comments: