Sunday, November 23, 2008

Don't go there today

There's quite the little dust-up at PostSecret today over a particularly graphic image and I have to admit that I'm in the minority on this one.

I saw it early this morning and tried to give myself some time to get over it but here it is 8 hours later and I'm still really disturbed by it.

There's an online poll regarding whether the image should be removed and the nays are running away with it.

That's unfortunate.

I know that by even publishing this post, I may be causing people to check it out but don't say I didn't warn you. Even though the picture is actually a photoshopped hoax, if you're the type that avoids graphic images of things like necrotizing fasciitis and other dermatological conditions, you want to skip this one. If you enjoy those sorts of images, then have at it.

The PostSecret discussion board is full of people who don't see the problem; who think removing the image would be censorship; who, since the image is fake, claim not to be disturbed by it; who think that's it's horrible that people are so bothered by this fake image but not by real life horrors like rape and abuse.

My take is that PostSecret is, by its very nature, censored since Frank chooses what to post each week and that, in choosing to post this image (which doesn't even really qualify as a secret), he was clearly going for the shock factor, the sensationalism. Perhaps this image isn't as disturbing as many real life images but I'm not trying to look at those either.

The fact that there's worse stuff out there doesn't change the fact that this is a revolting image and I wish I hadn't seen it.

I don't like the direction PostSecret is going.

No comments: