Saturday, December 22, 2007

A fine day of skiing

The expert skier on Kessler's


Since we had another powder day and since I haven't been out to Highlands yet this season, I loaded up my new powder skis and went out to Highlands by myself this afternoon to ski a couple of runs.

Days like today are my favorite conditions to ski Steeplechase and my favorite run, Soddbuster. Since I'm still a "beginning" expert, it's hard to call what I do skiing, especially when compared with all of the real experts who ski Highlands. So, I call what I was doing flailing.

There was some great flailing to be had. I had a giant grin on my face the whole time.

I had so much fun on my first run down Soddbuster that I took my second run down Kessler's which runs right under the lift. Runs which follow the lift line are called showcase runs since you're almost guaranteed an audience. Skiers of my caliber generally avoid such runs since we know that the ski instructors on the lifts are using us as examples of what not to do and that cocky teenagers are laughing at us.

But I didn't care. It was just too good out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see that instructors do need to use people as examples, but I would be so self-conscious about being one.

IamMBB said...

Honestly, the good ski instructors don't often do that. To do so would simply make the instructor's own clients feel real self conscious when they're skiing under the lift. If there's someone really doing something right, the instructor might point that out.