Friday, December 07, 2007

Level 4

Fanny Hill

I'm learning to snowboard.

I'm not sure why I'm doing this but I am.

Today was my second day snowboarding. Last Sunday (less than a week ago) was my first.

We have a wonderful resource here called Local's Clinics. You either pay $60 for a lesson or for $153 for a season pass which gives you free access to 45 different clinics (a clinic is basically a ski, snowboard or telemark class). Now, you can't do all of them since some of them are scheduled for the same day but still . . .

On Sunday, when I took my first Local's Clinic, a beginning snowboarding clinic, I was a never-ever. As in, I'd never ever been on a snowboard. Luckily for me, it was the day after a big dump (something like 9 inches) so the conditions were conducive to frequent falling.

Snowboarding is freaky. As bi-peds, we're used to our legs operating separately. Not so with snowboarding. I was cool with it when we had only one foot strapped in and were learning to skate and slide on our boards.

All that changed when we strapped both feet in.

Whole different world.

But, by the end of the first day, I was linking turns. Not very many turns, but more than one turn. That's what makes it linking.

I quit a bit early since I wanted to end on a positive note.

Today, after yet another big dump (14 inches this time), I went out for beginning snowboarding Local's Clinic #2. Only I was too good for the beginner class. Who knew? As the instructor sent me over to a different group, he mentioned that they were all level 3.

Level 3? Wait a minute, I'm no level 3. This is only my second time out.

Well, little did I know. I was in fact a level 3.

And now I'm a level 4. Had an awesome morning in soft, forgiving snow. Successfully linked 9 turns. That's quite some linkage.

Went in for lunch and came back out to an entirely different snowpack. Hard, compressed, really slippery snow. Couldn't do anything right. Flailed. Felt like I had forgotten everything I had learned so far.

Persisted and did two more laps. Regained a bit of ground and got to a point where I wasn't totally disheartened. This time, I decided to quit early so that it didn't get any worse.

There's another clinic next Saturday and I'll be there. As a level 4 snowboarder. After just two days.

But tomorrow, I'm going skiing.

Heck, I've already spent (wasted?) two powder days falling on my ass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! I am such a klutz. Having my legs on one board really does sound tough to manage.