Friday, November 10, 2006

My Russian Masseuse

I'm currently out of town attending a conference. Since it ended earlier today, my co-worker and I went to get massages.

Those of you who visit this space regularly (grin) know that my last massage was quite the luxury experience. It was at Remede in the St. Regis in Aspen and pampering is the motif. While the massage itself can be as therapeutic and deep tissue as you desire, everything surrounding the massage is gentle, langorious and muted. The masseuse (in my case) moves in long sweeping motions, especially when floating around you and assisting you in changing positions.

And then there's Irina. Irina is the very Rusian woman who is the masseuse at the gym next door, to which the hotel refers its massage requests. The adjectives to describe Irina are efficient, business-like, crisp, powerful . . .

No long sweeping floating motions here.

Such a different experience. And yet, very satisfying. While I came out of the Remede feeling de-stressed in a decadent, lazy sort of way, I came out of my massage today feeling more like I feel after a workout, relaxed but accomplished.

Invigorated.

No comments: