Saturday, November 25, 2006

Fireworks

I watched World Cup fireworks over Aspen Mountain tonight from my front porch. I could hear the cheers of the crowd after the grand finale.

Aspen has a lot of fireworks. We're a ways from Disney World with its nightly fireworks but we've got more than our fair share.

We've got fireworks for World Cup, fireworks for New Years, 2 sets of fireworks for Winterskol, fireworks for X Games, fireworks for 4th of July, fireworks for corporate events and more.

I'm not complaining. I love fireworks. They still fill me with a childlike awe and excitement.

I especially like fireworks that involve absolutely no work on my part. In my first apartment in Aspen, I could watch the fireworks from bed. In my current house, I can watch the fireworks from my front porch or from my shower (yes, I have a window in my shower). I can watch the 2 sets of Winterskol fireworks which are staged on opposite sides of the valley first from my front porch and then from my back balcony.

If I want to experience the fireworks with a bit of company, I can walk the 5 minutes to town and watch from the base of Aspen Mountain, just below where they're set off.

I've also watched the fireworks from above by hiking partways up Aspen Mountain to a vantage point at eye level with many of the explosions.

Some in Aspen are jaded by the frequency with which we are graced by fireworks. I won't name names . . . but my husband numbers himself among them although he did rouse himself enough to watch the fireworks from the shower that first time after we moved into this house, mostly so that he could say that he had.

He really should be more appreciative of fireworks. After all, there were fireworks the day we met.

Fireworks still quicken my pulse and delight me. Hopefully, they always will.

UPDATE: The husband responds.

1 comment:

Steve-O said...

Read my response at http://americonoclast.blogspot.com/2006/11/jaded-nonchalance-ultimate-compliment.html