Thursday, November 23, 2006

Suspicious

I missed All Things Considered live yesterday and I was checking out the story listing online when I came across a story that at first blush triggered my bullshit meter. The story about fatal familial insomnia while seemingly farfetched turned out to be a true account of a "horrific disease" and I felt guilty for doubting it.

I have a suspicious nature. Not sure if it's congenital or acquired. Probably both.

My husband often gets offended when I don't immediately believe something that he's telling me, especially if it contradicts one of my accepted beliefs. It's nothing personal. I'm analytical and sceptical, both by nature and by training.

I am compelled to investigate.

I'm open to new information, I just feel the need to confirm it.

I once had a rival for a cheating boyfriend's attentions tell me in an accusing, condemnatory tone that I was very suspicious.

And rightly so. Duhhh.

My thought was that it was thoroughly justified and that if she was smart, she would be suspicious, too.

It turns out, she wasn't very smart. (hmmm, that was mean.)

Actually, I had heard that about her (from the cheating boyfriend, no less).

My friends have learned (often to their chagrin) that if you send me one of those forwarded emails, my first stop is snopes.com to search urban legends. Generally, my second stop is an email response to whomever sent me the forwarded email, debunking it. I never reply to all. I'm not interested in embarrassing anyone, just in educating.

I'm just trying to help . . .

Some people just don't understand . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I check mass emails for veracity too. They're never true so far. There's never any reply to my "Actually, George Washington never made a Thanksgiving day proclamation since it wasn't a holiday till Lincoln . . . see this link . . . . " emails.

Like you, I'm just trying to help cut down on spurious data. It's sort of my mission.