Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Scraping the barrel

I'm taking a short trip this week.

I'm leaving on Wednesday, returning on Saturday and spending the two days in between inside in meetings.

This is definitely the sort of trip which calls for a carry-on.

When the FAA first banned liquids in August, my thought was to Fed-Ex my toiletries to my hotel.

However, now that the liquid restriction has been eased, I'm trying to figure out if I can meet the TSA's requirements for which they're using the catchy phrase, "Get the 3-1-1 on air travel."

I don't use many toiletries and even fewer cosmetics (really no cosmetics). The mountain woman lifestyle is refreshingly cosmetic free.

I basically use shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, toothpaste, body lotion, deodorant, facial lotion and contact solution. That's it in terms of liquids or gels (bar soap is not a liquid or gel, is it?).

I can't take any one container larger than 3 oz and it all has to fit in one quart sized ziploc bag.

No overstuffing allowed!

I've purchased 4 2 oz empty bottles, a small tube of toothpaste and a small tube of hair gel. The ziploc is basically full and I haven't added the deodorant.

Oh, now I'm getting creative. I'm not particularly picky about my shampoo; it's my conditioner in which I put more stock so if I use the hotel shampoo, I'll be able to fit the deodorant.

That's important. Don't want to be offending people, now do I?

I wonder what sort of increase in usage of complimentary toiletries hotels have seen since August.

Alrighty then, in an attempt to answer the above inquiry, I've found that at least as of 8/16/06, the Sheraton (which is where I'll be staying) was offering complimentary shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, hair spray, hair gel, toothpaste, and shaving cream.

I guess if I really care, I could call today to find out if they're still offering these items.

Knowing me, I probably will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pain. It seems if anyone's thoroughly assessed the situation you have. Bravo.

It all does seem so silly. Aren't there powerful chemicals that could be hidden in a small bottle? Is this the best way to address the security issue?

I do take more. I guess I'd wind up filling my pockets with stuff and maybe gluing others to a "Toiletry Hat" which I'd only wear while going through security. The rest of the trip I'd put the excess in a plastic bag. Is that allowed?

IamMBB said...

No.

You either have to check all the extra or throw it away.

It's fairly entertaining to watch people pawing through their luggage in the security line.

More entertaining in a small airport like Aspen then it might be in Chicago . .