Sunday, October 22, 2006

Consumerism & Sustainable Philanthropy

Costco is to Sam's Club as Target is to Walmart.

When I first moved here, the closest Target was 2 1/2 hours away. (Walmart was "only" 45 minutes away.) I moved from an area where I had two Targets within a 10 minute drive.

The closest warehouse club was also 2 1/2 hours away and it was just a Sam's Club.

How things have changed in 7+ years!

Now, not only do we have a Target (and a Bed, Bath and Beyond and a Lowes) 45 minutes away but, as of Friday, we also have a Costco 1 1/4 hours away.

It is insane how inordinately happy this fact has made me.

Grand Opening was yesterday but Rachel and I took the big gamble and drove down there on Friday to see if it was open early. As we were nearing it, I could see a huge number of cars in the parking lot and then, cars at the gas pumps. I got giggly excited. Rachel thought I was nuts. But she was excited too.

I am a consumer at heart.

Speaking of which, I just (remember I have no TV and I don't live in a major metropolitan area) caught wind of Bono and Bobby Shriver's (PRODUCT) RED deal. It's a innovative way to capitalize on the conflict between our desire to consume and our guilt about doing so. A $10 contribution per $200 iPod Nano purchase seems pretty lame until you factor in the number of Nano's Apple sells.

I'll admit, I want something (RED).

1 comment:

Steve-O said...

I enjoyed your story about going to Costco. What is that 'red' thing?