Monday, November 13, 2006

Stranger than Fiction

Rachel and I saw this movie Sunday evening with another mom/daughter combo.

We all really liked it.

It's great to see comic actors whom we enjoy stretch and succeed in other genres a la Tom Hanks and Jim Carrey. Couple that with the comedic timing and willingness of Emma Thompson to be as unglamorous as possible and you've got a satisfying cinematic experience.

I am a discriminating Will Ferrell fan, loving Anchorman and Talladega Nights which I call smart stupid humor but not finding much to recommend such films such as Zoolander, Old School and Elf,which I see as just stupid stupid humor.

Stranger than Fiction was funny, touching, and well-crafted. I appreciated such details as the beige drabness of the IRS auditor's apartment juxtaposed with the colorful eclecticsm of the rebel law school drop-out's apartment.

There were many laugh out loud moments and even more quiet chuckles. There was also an important eyes-welling moment.

Approach Stranger than Fiction in an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (altho no where near as odd) way and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Side note: while the city in which the movie takes place is never identified and is clearly not supposed to be any recognizable city, much of it was filmed in Chicago and as a former Chicagoan, it was fun picking out the landmarks.

See also: NPR reviewer Bob Mondello's take on the movie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roeper and whoever was filling in that week recommended this. Now your review reminds me that I have to scan the movie listings and find Stranger than Fiction so I can see it in a theater. I've been avoiding cineplexes recently imagining that they're just too crowded during Christmas vacation. I'm ready to enter the throngs this week. I hope it's still around.