Monday, July 07, 2008

Cigarettes are litter!

Why are cigarette smokers so irresponsible?

Ok, ok.

Why are some cigarette smokers so irresponsible?

I see a couple of Food & Wine volunteers taking a smoking break on a stone bench in a grassy area and watch incredulously as they stub out their butts in the grass . . . and leave them there. Even though the volunteers are next going to walk right past a trash receptacle.

An entire apartment complex in Aspen burns down because someone left a smoldering cigarette in a planter on a balcony.

About a week later after much publicity about the cause of the conflagration, there's another fire at another apartment complex caused by the very same behavior.

Duh!

Walk down the street or pedestrian malls in front of any of Aspen's late night clubs first thing in the morning and the cigarette butt litter looks like confetti. I'm guessing that my tax dollars are going to clean that up.

Occasionally, when I'm in an especially bad mood or feeling especially confrontational, I will pick up the butt that has just been discarded right in front of me in a parking lot and place it under the windshield wiper on the offender's windshield.

Or I'll call the person back with "Excuse me. I think you dropped something."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I admire your boldness! Yes, it's disgusting to throw trash of any kind on the ground. They can do that at home if they like.