Monday, August 27, 2007

Boggles the mind

In the past couple of years, the Aspen Animal Shelter engaged in a huge fund-raising effort in order to enable it to move and build a new facility. We now have quite the state of the art animal shelter. It even has an online Doggie Daycare Cam. Pretty cool.

I pulled a brochure out of my mailbox on Thursday entitled Aspen Animal Hospital Facilities Expansion Project. My first reaction was that I couldn't believe that the animal shelter was asking for money again so soon. After my double take, I read the brochure a bit more carefully and realized that this wasn't from the animal shelter but from the local vet, Scott Dolginow.

What?

The vet is asking for "donations" (which are not tax deductible, mind you) to fund his business. The Aspen Animal Hospital is a for-profit corporation, just like any other local business.

What would you think if your local businessman asked you to give him/her money to purchase equipment which s/he is then going to use to make money? You're not going to get a discount on future services; you're not getting a slice of the pie; it's not an investment. You're simply funding a purchase for no return. But he will be grateful.

I find this outrageous. Ballsy, but completely outrageous.

The most ironic piece is the recent piss poor review I found of this vet online today.

No comments: