Saturday, August 26, 2006

Favorite Things

So, during her first two days of high school, Rachel was asked what her favorite book and favorite food are.

This got me thinking. I can't pick favorites. I could not tell you my favorite book, or food, or movie, or color, or song, or . . .

There are just too many choices, too many situational factors. Take favorite color. To wear? Doing what? To look at? For my kitchen? For my car?

Favorite book? How could you pick?

But, ask me my favorite place. Go ahead, ask. That one I can answer.

My favorite place is Aspen, right here, right where I live.

Wow! How lucky am I?

4 comments:

Writer Girl said...

You are very odd, Mom.

Darling Daughter

IamMBB said...

That's all you have to say??

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. It's ridiculous to expect someone just to have one favorite anything. Besides there's no need to. We really will never in all likelihood have to go to a deserted island with that one kind of food, book, DVD, etc.

As a teacher, I've come to avoid that question and ask about 3 of your favorite whatevers. Or what X do you hate. That results in passionate interesting writing and students can get started faster than if they have to mull over everything they like or love.

IamMBB said...

I think I best like the question phrased as, "Tell me the first three things that come to mind when I say what is your favorite ______.