Monday, March 26, 2007

Bandwagon jumpa redux

Hoya!! Saxa!!

Wow!!

Let me say it again.

Wow!!

I don't have a TV so I didn't see it.

But, I have a radio and I heard it. The last few minutes of regulation and the 5 minute overtime of yesterday's Georgetown/UNC East Regional Final were phenomenal. I haven't been that jazzed about college basketball in a long time.

When I was in college at American University from 1980-1984, I worked for the AU men's basketball team and I watched the Georgetown team, just down the road, become the powerhouse that it was at that time. Our guys played summer league with the Georgetown guys at Georgetown's old, stuffy, un-air-conditioned McDonough Gym and I hung out a little with David Wingate (who was hot for my girlfriend, later, roommate) at his on-campus apartment which he shared with Patrick Ewing.

I was working the scorers' table at the Capital Centre when AU earned DC bragging rights by beating Georgetown and Patrick Ewing. (It's amazing how the chill from the hockey ice underneath seeps through the wood basketball floor.)

I watched Georgetown win the NCAA tournament in 1984 and watched them lose to Villanova (with its record setting .786 field goal percentage) on my birthday in 1985, the same day that I learned that I had been accepted to Georgetown's law school.

So, although I haven't followed them in years and although I was originally a rival, I am now an alum and I'm taking great personal interest in this year's goings-on, what with Patrick Ewing, Jr. and John Thompson III.

What Rocks!

No comments: